Tuesday 5 August 2014

PINK LADY SPOTLIGHT | ANJA aka TINKELBEL



Let's start with a bit of personal info...

Name:
Anja De Dobbelaere [aka Tinkelbel]

Country:
Belgium

Favourite colour:
That is a difficult one; I don’t really have one specific colour that I like… and what I like most changes from time to time. Also, I like different colours for home decorating and for clothing. But at this point if there is one colour that I’m drawn to, it’s black, and black is not even a colour... Or perhaps that French blue/green colour you often see in France in old objects and stuff…

Favourite food:
I don’t really have one ‘favourite’ food… but I’d say Chinese food comes pretty close to it! We have a Chinese restaurant nearby that is just exquisite, both for take-away and out dining.

Described in one word:
One word??? Let me think… Dreamer?

Time to talk scrap ...

How and when did you start digital scrapbooking?
In 2007 I started an evening course in graphic design, a long lost dream of mine. In 2011 I was looking around for images for my end assignment. I stumbled upon some scrapbooking sites, just by accident, but I wanted to investigate ‘scrapbooking’ further, after my end assignment was finished, it seemed like something I’d been looking for for a long time. So, in the summer that followed I downloaded my first kit (some freebies at first) and started scrapbooking. Finally I had found a way to combine two things I was passionate about: my pictures and Photoshop. Thanks to that graphic design course, I was able to handle design principles and use Photoshop without having to learn the program first. I’ve been hooked ever since!

How and when did you end up in a CT/ CT’s?
I joined my first team in November 2012. I wanted to join a designers creative team after being disappointed about not succeeding in designing and selling my own kits successfully. I just wasn’t patient enough, I expected sales right away, and next to that I found it was too stressful to design while working 4 days a week. I was so relieved when I let the idea go of designing myself, and shortly afterwards someone introduced me to Jen Maddocks Designs. Jen was looking for a few members, but hardly ever did any real CT calls. That was my very first team, and I’m still with Jen!

How long have you been on my CT?
Officially I was invited to join the Pink Ladies on October 31, 2013. But I had gotten in touch with you off and on through Facebook. Perhaps because we are practically neighbours, you living in The Netherlands, me living in Belgium. And we speak the same language. Most designers I know don’t live so near or don’t speak the same language. And I just loved [and still love] your kits, so I joined the monthly challenges, got talking to you and ended up in your CT!

What software do you use? What type of camera?
I work with Photoshop CC (it’s awesome, I always having the latest version, and the ability to download any other program, I also use Illustrator occasionally and Indesign).
I have purchased a Nikon Coolpix P510 last year in July, a bridge camera. Bridge cameras are somewhere in between compact cameras and DSLR cameras. I love it. But it has so many features, that I’ve now decided I want to make full use of it, and I’ve bought a book about it.

How would you describe your style?
This is a tough question… I don’t think I have just one style. Recently I read an article on the Scrapstacks blog about the new trend in scrapbooking, the Fusion style. I think this describes my style best of all; some sort of mix between art journaling and traditional scrapbooking. Of course, my ‘style’ also depends on the type of kit I’m working with. If it’s a traditional kit, with no brushes or masks or anything to blend, I’ll do traditional scrapbooking, but if I get to chose, I will use brushes and masks and I use the blending modes VERY often. I love dark pages, with brushes and paint functioning as ‘light’ (as done in this page). But I also like bright pages. It really depends on the mood I guess. Sometimes I like goth-style things, sometimes I’m all about angelic moods.


What is your favourite scrapbooking item, something you turn too again and again?
That would definitely be brushes, brushes and brushes. I use them for masking, for blending, I recolour them, blend them again, I use them over and over again, I cannot imagine life without brushes LOL

What is your favourite Pink Reptile product and why?
Ooh, to pick just one… I’m sure that’s a tough one for all Pink Ladies. Mirjams kits are so amazing, with all the bits and pieces she puts in there, the amazing variation of elements, from brushes to ephemera, from quirky buttons to the most genius paper patterns… But if I really do have to pick one, I’d say the Boho Bliss kit, a collab she did with Lynne Marie. I believe it’s the first Pink Reptile kit I ever worked with, and I love the bohemian theme and colours, the elements that are used and the awesome brushes and wordart!


Just for fun… tell us all about a quirky habit of yours!
Quirky habit, do I even have one? LOL.
Well, maybe this: I never leave the house without some make-up on… Or perhaps this: I love to take a hot bath in the evening (and not a shower in the morning), then put on my pyjama’s to sit behind my computer and scrap or watch a good movie with the rest of my family. My daughter has taken over this habit of mine. It’s just pure cosiness. Or perhaps it’s the fact that always seem to turn my desk around my computer into a mess, while I tidy up everything else around the house. Or maybe it’s that I just love being at home, preferably behind my computer if I have nothing else to do. I could do that for days and days and days, if I didn’t have to leave the house for work or social stuff or stocking some food. My husband makes jokes about it, how I, when he leaves in the morning, am put behind my computer, and how I, when he comes home, am still sitting at the exact same spot, LOL. Are these quirky enough?


Name 5 things that you can touch RIGHT NOW from where you are sitting, no cheating!
My headphones, my camera, a cabinet where I keep my cd’s and stereo, an empty cup and a yoghurt that I’m eating whilst I’m answering these questions.

Silliest thing you have ever done… 
Let me think … I don’t know if it’s silly or just brave, but afterwards it seemed like silly… It happened about 20 years ago and I had gone shopping in a busy shopping street in Ghent. I bought myself a coffee in a cosy café nearby and noticed how after me two men came in. They came to sit right behind me and seemed out of place in the café, I don’t know why. And they left really quickly. Too quickly, suddenly I looked at my left, where my bag was, and it was gone! Everything went so fast, the minute they left and closed the door, I noticed the red inner strap of my bag and I just didn’t think, I got up, went straight after them and in the middle of the street, I made them stop, I practically jumped on the big one of the two, and I shouted at them ‘give me back my bag you idiots’. Now everything was so quiet, nobody moved (of course not, typical, nobody wants to get involved)… The two men seemed to be schocked as well by my brave and fierce move, they dropped my bag and made an attitude like ‘nothing happened’. Right, nothing did happen, they didn’t even have the time to steal my wallet or what was in it. So I had my bag back! I returned to the café, and then I started shaking so heavily… The café owner offered me another drink to calm down. I did calm down of course, and I was proud of myself for acting like that, but it might have gone wrong as well. I was definitely no match for these men, I could never have gotten up against them in a fight.

Can you give us a tip on digital scrapbooking?
Maybe this, because that’s what I do all the time: play around with brushes and blend modes. The blend modes are an awesome tool if you know how to use it. If you don’t, just experiment, use a brush, and see what happens if you use blend modes like overlay, soft light, multiply, linear burn, etc. Just go through each and everyone of them. You might be surprised what you come up with and the effects you can achieve just by ‘accident’. Try recolouring your pictures or elements if they don’t quite fit what you had in mind. I recolour elements and pictures through the layer options, there I chose ‘color overlay’ and play – again – with the blend modes.

No comments:

Post a Comment