Tuesday 15 November 2016

HYBRID | ADVENT CHRISTMAS TREE

Each year, I make my own Advent calendar for my children.
Two years ago I made origami boxes with Pink Reptiles Designs' papers. This year, my daughter asked me if I could make an Advent calendar in a christmas tree shape. I thought that was a GREAT idea!

Let me show you how I made it:


I decided to play the salvage card. I used cardstock from cardboard boxes and toilets rolls to create the christmas tree. 25 Half-toilet rolls to be precise, to create hiding places, and cardstock pieces to build a 3D Christmas tree and hide those toilet rolls.

I cut the christmas tree shape out of cardstock: trapizium shapes for the leaves and a rectangle for the trunk.


Each piece of cardstock is cut twice so I have a front and back.

I drew circles in the front pieces. Not in the back ones! I used one toilet roll to draw the first circle, cut it, and then used it like a template to draw the others.


 Then I cut out all those circles.


My Advent calendar is going to be built like this: 


Before I start building the tree, it needed paint !
My children helped me to paint all the pieces of cardstock in a nice and bright green color:


After drying, I had a beautiful green cardstock. I didn't paint the trunk, I found that kraft color was perfect for a trunk.


Now it was time to actually build the christmas tree.

I began at the top and I used glue gun to glue each toilet roll to the front cardstock [the one with the holes].


Then I glued the back cardstock.


For the second part I used the same process.
I put on the cardstock the half of toilet roll. Then I glued it with my glue gun:



The others 'leave' parts of the tree have several holes. I covered those up with paper circles that I cut out with a punch from printed out papers from Pink Reptile's Forget Me Not, Love the Life You Live, More Than Words, Sea Of Love and Ta-Dah.


And I attached them with little brads.

 


Of course it is MUCH easier to attach those paper circles to hide the holes BEFORE you attach the back piece of cardstock.

I did the same process for each part of my tree :


Then I built the Christmas tree by glueing all the different parst together with a glue gun.


For my finishing touch I used the Countown To Christmas stamps. I glued a stamp a day on each paper circle.


And this is what my finished tree looks like.


The last step is of course adding little presents in each hiding hole!

As always I hope you enjoyed my post and if I inspired you in any way, shape or form then by all means make a photo of your project and upload it to your gallery so you can leave a link in the comment section below! I'd love to see what you made!

No comments:

Post a Comment